Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another American in Norway

Well, since I wrote last, I performed at the International Cultural Evening and I picked up my Dad from the airport. So I'll start where I left off. As you know, my friends, Stephanie & Christina, and I were set to perform at the International Cultural Evening. We had dress rehearsals on Wednesday and Thursday. They both went well as did the performance the evening of. It was quite a show! I enjoyed every act, but I especially enjoyed a Polish Dance, a Georgian Dance, a Pakistani Dance, a group of US students performing Michael Jackson's "Thriller," a Balkans choir, Africa United, and an American singer/songwriter. The show started off with "Thriller" and it was quite thrilling. Dancers emerged from the audience and made their way to stage where they danced a simplified version (while still maintaining the spirit of the dance). Although this act was cool because I got to see a lot of people do one dance together to a cool song, my favourite acts were really inspirational because of the message they sent the world and not only the content of their performance. Take the Georgian dancers for example: a large portion of the world doesn't believe that they're an independent country and for them to dance a national dance deeply rooted in Georgia sends a strong message. My other favourite acts presented unity where conflict normally takes place. The Balkans choir sang a song that each country claimed to have written, but representatives from five Balkan nations sang that song all together with five verses, each verse in a different language. The Pakistani dancers were inspirational for a similar reason. There has been conflict between India and Pakistan for a while, but it's not really between people, only the governments. The Pakistanis invited the Indians in the audience to join them on stage dancing showing that the people of India and Pakistan are united. The last act of the night was the "Africa United" act, where all the ISS students from Africa joined together and sang and danced many songs together. I really enjoyed seeing people so genuinely happy when they're from a place that most Americans consider unlivable. This will sound cheesy, but this program strengthened my faith in humanity and the power of working together.

Thriller

Polish Dancers

Georgian Dancers

Balkan Choir

After the International Cultural Evening was over, my friends and I went to a club called "The Roxy Bar" a block off of Karl Johans Gate near Stortinget. We had a great time dancing!

After sleeping in this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks, I read a play for literature class and made my way downtown where I met up with Stephanie and Christina before I had to take the Flytoget to the airport. I had a nice train ride to the airport and I met up with Sigrid and Hogne a short while later. We only had to wait a few minutes before my Dad came through the gate. It was good to see him as I haven't seen him since Christmas. We talked about our plans for the weekend with Sigrid and Hogne and then Dad and I took the train back to downtown. I got him to his hotel and checked in and then we set out to see some of the city. We got to see the inside of City Hall, we walked along Aker Brygge, walked on the roof of the Opera House, walked through Vigeland Park, attempted to find a geocache near campus, walked around campus, and ate Peppes Pizza for dinner. All in all, a very successful day and I look forward to an even better one tomorrow!

Random Observation: Norwegian drunk peoples' conversations are very easy to understand. Perhaps I should record them and use them as a teaching tool in class.

See more pictures from the International Cultural Evening here:

No comments:

Post a Comment