Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Fourth of July


Sans the fact that I was out of the United States, my Fourth of July included many of the archetypal activities -- going to the park, eating hotdogs and hamburgers, getting just a little bit sunburned, going to a Fourth of July program, hearing Sousa, singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" multiple times, going to the lake (Sognsvann), and hanging out with great company! I did all these things today and more at the Independence Day Program and Festival hosted by the ACCN and the US Embassy in Norway. Out of the ordinary was homework to be done and the lack of fireworks. Let me first comment on the latter -- remember the picture of how light it was at 10pm from an earlier post? Well, due to the fact that it doesn't get dark here means that fireworks don't work very well -- go figure.

Back to the former: I just had some basic reading to do of some Old Norse Myths and I had to write an essay about my family. Both were completed successfully.

Here are some pictures from today's festivities:

The Program at the Lincoln Statue

Roses in Bloom at Vigeland Sculpture Park

The Festival From Afar

Me, Alina, & Carly

The View of the Festival Facing the Central Fountain

Me & Alina

No comments:

Post a Comment