Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The National Gallery

I went to the National Gallery today and I saw all the famous Norwegian paintings and some others including a Monet, a Van Gogh, a couple Picassos, and a sculpture by Rodane. There's not much to say other than I enjoyed the museum so I'll just show you some pictures of my favourites. Note that these are not my own photos; pictures are not allowed in the museum. The good news is that the museum is free!

This painting is of course, The Scream by Edvard Munch. It was quite surreal to actually see this painting in person. It's much more impressive than the T-shirts with the skull like faces make it out to be. An interesting side note on this painting is that there are several versions of this painting with the people in the background in different locations and the facial expressions different on the face in each one. The one shown here is the most famous and the one I saw. This painting was also stolen from the National Gallery in 1994 and recovered shortly after.

This painting is entitled Vinternatt i Rondane and is painted by Harald Sohlberg. I would have to say that this is my favourite Norwegian painting. I really enjoy the deep blue colour, the snow, and the night scene. It is HUGE in the museum, that is also a plus.

Apart from The Scream, this may be the most famous Norwegian painting. Hardanger Bridal Procession by Hans Gude captures the beautiful essence of Norwegian nature in this wonderful painting.

I also like this painting even though it is quite gloomy and not because the painter shares my name. Fyr på den norske kyst by Peder Balke is almost a surreal interpretation of nature. When one sees it in the gallery, the lines are so crisp that it almost looks cartoonish. Definitely one worth noting.

You might live under a rock if you don't know who this is. This Self-Portrait by Vincent Van Gogh is impressive to be around not only because it is a great example of Impressionist Art, but because one can think that Vincent Van Gogh once touched this canvas. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment