Sunday, August 1, 2010

Time Warp?

Okay, let me inform you that while I am writing this I am thoroughly exhausted. I feel like I walked back and forth from one side of Oslo to the other about 500 times today. I'll just provide a list of the things we saw today.
  1. Ferry from Rådhus to Bygdøy
  2. Fram Museum
  3. Kon-Tiki Museum
  4. Viking Ship Museum
  5. Norwegian Folk Museum
  6. Akershus Castle & Fortress
  7. Resistance Museum
  8. Nobel Peace Center
  9. Palace Gardens
  10. Tour of the Palace
  11. Sognsvann
  12. Hiking in Nordmarka for a Geocache
  13. Find a Geocache Near UiO
  14. Holmenkollen
  15. Dinner
I'm amazed that we were able to see all of this! Everything seemed to work out for timing perfectly! For example, we basically walked right up to the palace, bought tickets and were inside touring within five minutes.

I'll now explain some more about some of the day's highlights if I haven't mentioned them in the blog previously. First off, we went to see the Fram, a ship used by Roald Amundsen when he sailed to the North Pole twice and the Antarctic once. It was very cool to see the actual ship and be able to go inside and see several rooms of the ship. The maritime theme continued with the Kon-Tiki museum where we saw Ra II, one of Thor Heyerdahl's reed boats that sailed from Morocco to Barbados. We also saw the famous Kon-Tiki raft that sailed between Polynesia and South America.
Fram

Kon-Tiki

The Norwegian Folk Museum was amazing! It was very cool to see different Norwegian buildings from different time periods and different areas so well preserved. There was also a dentistry exhibition in the "Old City" section of the museum and Dad was very amused and had a good time. After the Folk Museum, we took the ferry back to the City Hall.

Stav Church

The Castle at Akershus is extraordinary! It was my first castle I've been in and I must say I was impressed. It was all very grand, but I would imagine that it got quite damp and cold in there in the winter. All in all, nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

The Royal Mausoleum in the Castle

The Norwegian Resistance Museum, which is located within Akershus Fortress, is a nice museum. I really enjoyed seeing all the different ways the Norwegians tried to fight back against the Nazis and the methods of communication they used (i.e. hollowed out screws and papers printed in basements).

The Peace Center had a few neat things and I enjoyed seeing it, but it's more of an experiential museum than a "look and read" museum, so maybe it would have been better with more time and more interest.

Finally, we took the T-bane to Sognsvann where we hiked around a bit and found a geocache near an old iron mine. I was very happy to find such a well-hidden cache and I was also happy to eat the blueberries and raspberries along the way. We found another geocache by the NRK building by UiO. It was most certainly cleverly hidden.

Also, if anyone journeys to Oslo, I highly recommend the "Oslo Pass." It includes entrance to virtually all museums and the public transportation ticket is included. It's well worth it!

Tomorrow I'll be back to class and studying.

See more pictures here:

No comments:

Post a Comment