Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Summary of the Remaining Events in Norway

On Sunday, we went to a museum of music near Trondheim called Ringve. I thought it was very cool to see a collection of instruments that also showed the progression of music. Something very unique about this museum is that most of the instruments are playable and the tour guide played several throughout the tour. We spent the rest of the afternoon touring the Archbishop's Palace and Nidarosdomen. I thought both were absolutely stunning and it was also very neat to see the Royal Regalia in the Archbishop's Palace. In the evening, we ate in a rotating restaurant at the top of a communication tower for Trondheim.

Nidarosdomen

On Monday, it was time to visit Singås. It was very strange to visit the church and see relatives' graves and also all the same names that are at the cemeteries in Hendricks. Inside the church, it was cool to see a picture of the Singås church in Hendricks. After visiting the church, we drove up to Svea, the home of my great-grandfather who immigrated to the United States. The old buildings are no longer there, but it was very strange to be in this place that an ancestor left in search of a better life. After we visited Svea, we went to Lars and Lillegul's house in Singås and had coffee and cake. I had a great time visiting with everyone until it was time to depart for Røros.



Singsås Church

A Picture of the Singsås Church in Hendricks

Me at Svea

We drove to Røros and stayed with Arne Bakken for two nights. I loved Arne and Ingla's house! I can only hope to have my house be like that some day. It was all wood and cozy, just like the city of Røros. I learned a lot about the area and about copper mining in my few days in Røros. I would also have to say that it's one of my favourite cities in Norway. It's very enchanting -- almost like a fairy tale town now. Although, I'm sure that it was not that way when the mining was taking place; that looked like a pretty rough life. On Wednesday, we drove back to Vormsund and visited with Sigrid and Hogne for awhile before we got a couple of hours of sleep before it was time to get up and go to the airport. I left for Italy, and Dad left to go back home.


Røros

Røros

Now, I am in Italy visiting my friend Lucia. I have already visited Venice, been to Slovenia and Austria, and visited many old cities in the Friuli region -- already way more than I could have expected from just a week-long visit, but it's not over yet. I look forward to whatever we will do in the next few days before I make a stop in Iceland for a few hours and then fly back to Minneapolis.

Me on the Grand Canal Bridge

Random fact: I learned how to drive a manual-transmission vehicle someplace between Vormsund and Trondheim and back.


Well, I can't believe it, but this is the end. I hope that you've had as much fun reading this blog as I had writing it. I look forward to my next adventure that I can share with you. Takk for leser bloggen min.

No comments:

Post a Comment