Monday, June 28, 2010

Lap of Luxury: Positives and Negatives


Being in one of the world's richest countries has its ups and its downs. First of all, a down. Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in the world. At no time was this more clear than when I bought textbooks for class today. They aren't available in the United States so I couldn't order them before hand. If you think textbooks in the United States are expensive, try Norway!

Reading the previous paragraph, you're probably thinking, "Class, which class?" Yes, I did start my classes today -- Norwegian Literature and Intensive Elementary Norwegian. I think I will enjoy both of these classes, however, they will be A LOT of work. For example, Wednesday's homework is to read a novel for THURSDAY!!

The positive side of being in one of the world's richest countries is the parties that they throw for guests! We had the Opening Ceremony of the International Summer School at the Oslo City Hall with a reception following. There was great food, champagne, wine, music, and free tours of the City Hall. I mean, what do you expect of the exact location where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded? Make sure to check out all of the following pictures from the evening.

Oslo City Hall


Me in City Hall

Deputy Mayor of Oslo

Reception Hall

Stage Where the Nobel Peace Prize is Awarded

No comments:

Post a Comment